It's so easy to get wrapped up in the day, work, free time, and forget how carefully I have to think about eating. One day last week, I walked into the ChemBE office to ask the admin a question. Before I realized it, I had grabbed a Tootsie roll from her candy jar and eaten it. How could I have done that without even recognizing? Now it's just a single Tootsie roll, but the principle holds. I can eat food I don't want or when I'm not hungry without giving it a second thought. I can also eat half my jumbo portion of chicken parmesan over dinner with friends without realizing how quickly I'm eating and when I'm full. This is the habit I need to break. Everything I put in my mouth needs to be conscious. I am getting better, but I am not there yet.
Running is getting there as well. I successfully completed Week 1 of my Couch to 5K program last week. The program started with three days of a five minute warm up, followed by alternating bouts of 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. In Days 1 and 2, I needed to stop to stretch my calves midway through, but on Day 3, I pressed on! I began Week 2 tonight which steps up the duty cycle to 90 seconds of jogging and 2 minutes of walking. I had to stop and stretch again, but I finished the day! I can feel my shins starting to get sore though, so I will continue my shin strengthening exercises and begin to ice my shins tonight. I hope I can build up enough strength and stamina before they get too sore to run.
I don't know if I mentioned that I am doing yoga twice a week over lunch. I find it very relaxing, although I don't really even notice that I'm letting go of my stress. Endorphins? Perhaps. But all I know is that my back hurts less and I'm less stressed on days I do yoga. Woot!
No comments:
Post a Comment